Friday, January 7, 2011

The Photographers Rights

1.       Can I take photos in a shopping mall? Yes you can, until you are asked to stop.

2.       Can I take photos in an airport?  Yes, until asked to stop.  But you are not allowed to take pictures of security checkpoints.
3.       Can I take photographs on the street? Yes, unless signs are posted saying otherwise
4.       Can I take photographs of accidents or crimes? Yes, unless you are deemed a hindrance to the investigation
5.       Can a security guard force you to delete your photos? No they may not, it is a criminal offense

6.       Can private security detain you?    Yes they can, but not for taking pictures.
7.       Can law enforcement officers detain you? Yes, but taking pictures is not a crime.  If you were taking pictures illegally they could detain you and take your camera.

8.       Can I photograph people?    Yes, as long as they are on public property and the pictures are not inappropriate.
9.       Can I photograph children? Yes, if for private use and as long as they are appropriate.
10.   Can I sell photos of ordinary people? Only if you have their explicit permission.
11.   Can I photograph celebrities?  Yes, if they are in public view.
12.   Can I sell photos of celebrities?  Yes, as long as it is not for advertisement or commercial use.
13.   Can I take photographs of business?   Yes, unless the pictures are used in a harmful way.
14.   Can I take photographs of buildings? Sometimes.  Some countries have laws against photographing certain buildings.
15.   Can I take photographs in a court? NO.  You may not photograph anything in a courthouse, the plaintiff, judge, jury, audience, or accused.

16.   Can I take photographs of a private house?    If on public property while taking the picture, yes.  If on the private property, it is up to the owner.
17.   Can I take photographs at the stadium? Not usually, because then you could show it to other people, thereby removing any reason to pay for a ticket.

18.   When do I own a photograph? When you push the button to take the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment